The Purple Pig… I don’t even know where to start. Maybe it’s that I’m hungry right now, but I am romanticizing this restaurant because I love it so much!
The Purple Pig has dishes that satisfy your tastebuds with every bite. My husband and I have been here multiple times. The first time was on June 2016. I was looking for a restaurant to go for dinner while we were in Chicago. The name sounded unique so we decided to dine here. We arrived at the perfect time because there was no wait. We ordered charcuterie, bone marrow, octopus and stuffed squid. It was amazing! The chef really knows how to complement the flavors in a savory way. There is nothing bland about this place. Oh, and as an added bonus the wine is good too!
The second and last time we went to the Purple Pig we arrived a few minutes before they opened. Not surprisingly, there were already people lined up for it to open.
Reasons to Arrive Early
- The Purple Pig does not take reservations. First, come.. first serve
- Prefer to be at the restaurant when it is not packed.
- Don’t want to wait around for a table (not good with a child)
- Do not want to miss the Purple Pig feast!
The last time we were at The Purple Pig was a couple of weeks ago. We had an incredible feast that we would have gladly gone back for dinner on our 3-day trip.
- Octopus a la Plancha: Herbs, capers, onions, and Maldon sea salt accompanied by buttery bread
- Bone Marrow: Cilantro, capers onions, and buttery bread (yum)
- King Crab Gazpacho: Strawberry gazpacho, avocado, and Calabrian chili Honey
- Stuffed Squid: Black fava beans puree, prosciutto breadcrumbs, and chermoula
- Crispy Pig Ears: Kale, pickled cherry peppers, and fried egg
- Summer Green Beans: Hazelnut, Parmesan, Peach, and Basil Pesto
It’s worth mentioning that our last dish was the summer green beans and my husband and I were a little concerned that we wouldn’t end on a high note. We were so wrong, the green beans were delicious! It was a great way to end our entrees. I mention this for those that don’t eat meat since most of the dishes I mentioned contain meat.
About The Purple Pig
Jimmy Bannos Jr is the chef/owner of The Purple Pig. He is a fourth-generation restauranteur that worked at critically acclaimed restaurants like Al Forno, Del Posto, Esca, and Lupa. After working for these great restaurants and embarking on a 6-month excursion of Italian food, wine and culture he started the Purple Pig.
The Purple Pig is by far one of my top 5 restaurants. I highly recommend checking it out if you are in the Chicago area. I guarantee you will love it!
Note: The Purple Pig has Michelin Recognition since 2011
If you would like to read more posts like this click here.
Do you have any restaurants you recommend for your hometown or places you have visited?